[one-users] VM cannot connect to outside (internet)

Valentin Bud valentin.bud at gmail.com
Sat May 10 08:16:37 PDT 2014

Hi Sangram,

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Sangram Rath <sangram.rath at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Valentin,
>
> Thanks for getting back, really appreciate.
> A bit of background:
> Had opennebula 3.8 (all working fine), performed upgrade to 4.6 and things
> screwed up. So ended up reinstalling (fresh install of 4.6). And we are
> using images from the old installation. So contextualization was working
> before and everything was fine. No changes done to file system inside
> images till now. All images are runing Ubuntu 12.04 / Ubuntu 12.10.
> One things to note here is that in all images, in file
> /etc/network/interfaces eth0 is commented. And this was working before in
> 3.8 (I did not setup 3.8). Right now I have manually uncommented eth0 so
> that interface comes up.

I am wondering if the vmcontext script is really activated in the VM.
I think you can check that with service --status-all on Ubuntu.

If I were you I would update the one-context package on all VMs to 4.6.
You can follow Basic Contextualization documentation [1] for that.

> 1 - Virtual network called "public" uses virbr0. A vm started with this
> network gets an IP (192.168.122.x), different IP in sunstone and different
> inside the VM (same ip range and if I uncomment eth0 manually). And I am
> able to ping to internet.

Another clue that contextualization is not happening and that because of
more
than one reason as you'll below. But it's good that your network setup is
working.

> [...]
> servers and we have 5 static IPs. If I type a web server name from browser
> it should access that specific vm. Rest of the vms may or may not access
> internet. So I will have a private network as well.
>
> 3 - *onevnet list*
>
>   ID USER         GROUP        NAME            CLUSTER      TYPE BRIDGE
> LEASES
>    0 oneadmin     oneadmin     net0            -               F
> br0           0
>    4 oneadmin     oneadmin     Public          -               R
> virbr0        2
>    5 oneadmin     oneadmin     Internet        -               R
> br0           0
>    6 oneadmin     oneadmin     Private         -               R
> br1           0
>
> *************
> *onevnet show 4*
>
> VIRTUAL NETWORK 4 INFORMATION
> ID             : 4
> NAME           : Public
> USER           : oneadmin
> GROUP          : oneadmin
> CLUSTER        : -
> TYPE           : RANGED
> BRIDGE         : virbr0
> VLAN           : No
> USED LEASES    : 2
>
> PERMISSIONS
> OWNER          : um-
> GROUP          : ---
> OTHER          : ---
>
> VIRTUAL NETWORK TEMPLATE
> BRIDGE="virbr0"
> DESCRIPTION=""
> DNS="8.8.8.8"
> GATEWAY="192.168.122.1"
> NETWORK_ADDRESS="192.168.122.10"
> NETWORK_MASK="255.255.255.0"
> PHYDEV=""
> VLAN="NO"
> VLAN_ID=""
>
> RANGE
> IP_START       : 192.168.122.1
> IP_END         : 192.168.122.254
>
> LEASES ON HOLD
> LEASE=[ MAC="02:00:c0:a8:7a:01", IP="192.168.122.1",
> IP6_LINK="fe80::400:c0ff:fea8:7a01", USED="1", VID="-1" ]
>
> USED LEASES
> LEASE=[ MAC="02:00:c0:a8:7a:02", IP="192.168.122.2",
> IP6_LINK="fe80::400:c0ff:fea8:7a02", USED="1", VID="48" ]
>
> VIRTUAL MACHINES
>
>     ID USER     GROUP    NAME            STAT UCPU    UMEM
> HOST             TIME
>     48 oneadmin oneadmin Sfout staging ( runn    0      2G localhost    0d
> 23h06
>

> 4 - Yes the template has a NETWORK section.
>
> 5 - *onetemplate show 5*
>
> TEMPLATE 5 INFORMATION
> ID             : 5
> NAME           : Sfout staging (Ubuntu Server 11.10)
> USER           : oneadmin
> GROUP          : oneadmin
> REGISTER TIME  : 05/06 13:35:47
>
> PERMISSIONS
> OWNER          : um-
> GROUP          : ---
> OTHER          : ---
>
> TEMPLATE CONTENTS
> CONTEXT=[
>   HOSTNAME="sfout.dev.redeyeelectronics.com" ]

Your CONTEXT section is missing the NETWORK=YES bit to write the
networking information inside the CONTEXT CD-ROM. I am almost sure that
if you mount /dev/disk/by-label/CONTEXT into /mnt and read /mnt/context.sh,
in the VM,
you'll notice that it lacks any kind of networking information (ETH0_X
variables).

See Advanced Contextualization documentation [2]. Especially the Network
Configuration
section.

> 6- *onevm show *
>
> VIRTUAL MACHINE 48 INFORMATION
> ID                  : 48
> NAME                : Sfout staging (Ubuntu Server 11.10)-48
> USER                : oneadmin
> GROUP               : oneadmin
> STATE               : ACTIVE
> LCM_STATE           : RUNNING
> RESCHED             : No
> HOST                : localhost
> CLUSTER ID          : -1
> START TIME          : 05/09 05:49:06
> END TIME            : -
> DEPLOY ID           : one-48
>
> VIRTUAL MACHINE MONITORING
> NET_RX              : 5M
> USED MEMORY         : 2G
> USED CPU            : 0
> NET_TX              : 165K
>
> PERMISSIONS
> OWNER               : um-
> GROUP               : ---
> OTHER               : ---
>
> VM DISKS
>  ID TARGET IMAGE                               TYPE SAVE SAVE_AS
>   0 hda    Sfout staging   image               file  YES       -
>
> VM NICS
>  ID NETWORK              VLAN BRIDGE       IP              MAC
>   0 Public                 no virbr0       192.168.122.2
> 02:00:c0:a8:7a:02
>                                            fe80::400:c0ff:fea8:7a02
>
> VIRTUAL MACHINE HISTORY
> SEQ HOST            ACTION             DS           START        TIME
> PROLOG
>   0 localhost       none                0  05/09 05:49:13   0d 23h09m
> 0h00m01s
>
> VIRTUAL MACHINE TEMPLATE
> AUTOMATIC_REQUIREMENTS="!(PUBLIC_CLOUD = YES)"
> CONTEXT=[
>   DISK_ID="1",
>   HOSTNAME="sfout.dev.redeyeelectronics.com",
>   TARGET="hdb" ]
> CPU="4"
> GRAPHICS=[
>   LISTEN="0.0.0.0",
>   PORT="5948",
>   TYPE="VNC" ]
> MEMORY="2048"
> TEMPLATE_ID="5"
> VMID="48"
>

> 7 - OS running inside VM is Ubuntu 12.04 / Ubuntu 12.10. The VM has a
> network interface but it is commented in /etc/network/interfaces. When I
> took over this setup it was like this and working. Of course in 3.8

The latest contextualization packages are supported on your OS so
I see no reason why you shouldn't update them :).

> Let me know if you need anything else.

[1]:
http://docs.opennebula.org/4.6/user/virtual_machine_setup/bcont.html#bcont
[2]: http://docs.opennebula.org/4.6/user/virtual_machine_setup/cong.html