[one-users] VM cannot connect to outside (internet)

Valentin Bud valentin.bud at gmail.com
Sat May 10 00:39:59 PDT 2014

Hi Sangram,

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Sangram Rath <sangram.rath at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Virtual machine gets an IP through contextualization, however virtual
> machine is not able to connect to internet.
> Also from inside the VM, I do not see any other interface apart from lo.
> Is this normal in contextualization?

I wouldn't call it normal contextualization because the VM is missing the
primary Ethernet
interface, eth0. Let's try figure out why.

> I am able to ping the VM from same host. Host is Cent OS 6.1.
> Host has br0 connected to interface eth0. And virbr0.

Have you defined a virtual network in OpenNebula? Does that network use br0
on virbr0?

Where would you want your VMs to connect to, br0 or vribr0? If you want to
isolate
the VMs in a private network defined on virbr0 you have to enable IP
forwarding on the
host and either NAT or route the virbr0 network to the outside world.

It would help in troubleshooting if you can post the output of onevnet list
and onevnet show
<the name of your virtual network or it id>.

Has the template that you instantiate the VM from, a NETWORK section?

Can you share the output of onetemplate show <name of template or id>?

One more thing that can help is the output of onevm show <name of VM or id>.

What OS are you running inside the VM? It's strange that the VM doesn't have
a eth0 interface. You can also check the boot logs and search for Ethernet
adapters.

I also think that lspci output would help you. Where do you have the VM
image
from? Have you built it yourself? Maybe the udev rules are still present
and the interface
doesn't show up because of that.

Best,
Valentin