[one-users] vCPU and /proc/cpuinfo

Vassilis Vatikiotis vatikiot at iit.demokritos.gr
Thu May 8 00:50:46 PDT 2014

Host:
Centos 6.5

# uname -a -> inux infra2.xxx.xxx.xxx 2.6.39-400.214.4.el6uek.x86_64
#1 SMP Tue Mar 25 18:05:58 PDT 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# cat /proc/cpuinfo -> (below I attach only the last of the 16 cores reported)
     processor : 15
     vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
     cpu family : 21
     model : 1
     model name : AMD Opteron(TM) Processor 6212
     stepping : 2
     cpu MHz : 2600.140
     cache size : 2048 KB
     physical id : 1
     siblings : 8
     core id : 3
     cpu cores : 4
     apicid : 71
     initial apicid : 39
     fpu : yes
     fpu_exception : yes
     cpuid level : 13
     wp : yes
f     lags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid
amd_dcm aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2
popcnt aes xsave avx lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm
sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs xop skinit wdt lwp fma4
nodeid_msr topoext perfctr_core arat cpb npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold
     bogomips : 5199.28
     TLB size : 1536 4K pages
     clflush size : 64
     cache_alignment : 64
     power management: ts ttp tm 100mhzsteps hwpstate [9]

And dumpxml shows: <vcpu placement='static'>1</vcpu> which is weird
since this VM was created using a template with 2 vCPUs specified.
This template is being used and since now all newly created VMs have
reported 2CPUs.

I'll investigate further, thx for the help
Vassilis

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Stefan Kooman <stefan at bit.nl> wrote:
> Quoting Vassilis Vatikiotis (vatikiot at iit.demokritos.gr):
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I provision a template where a number of vCPUs are specified, in my
>> case 2 vCPUs. However, in /proc/cpuinfo only one CPU shows up. What
>> plays? The template tab of the VM shows, correctly, 2 CPUs.
>
> What OS do you use? You know for sure it's a "SMP" kernel? What does a
> "virsh dumpxml one-id" on the hypervisor tell you about the # of CPU's?
>
> Gr. Stefan
>
> --
> | BIT BV  http://www.bit.nl/        Kamer van Koophandel 09090351
> | GPG: 0xD14839C6                   +31 318 648 688 / info at bit.nl

Vassilis. Vatikiotis
Systems & Network Engineer
Institute of Informatics & Telecommunications
NCSR Demokritos, Greece