[one-users] virtual network cannot get out

Neil Schneider neil at ifxonline.com
Tue May 6 16:21:54 PDT 2014

I've been trying to work through this problem for two days and haven't
found the solution. I'm using opennebula to create virtual networks using
openvswitch.

[root at cloud1 ~]# ovs-vsctl show
c6def17d-2cc6-499e-a461-af4fe9aab78a
    Bridge management
        Port management
            Interface management
                type: internal
        Port "vlan10"
            tag: 10
            Interface "vlan10"
                type: internal
    Bridge public
        Port "em1"
            Interface "em1"
        Port "vnet0"
            Interface "vnet0"
        Port public
            Interface public
                type: internal
    Bridge storage
        Port storage
            Interface storage
                type: internal
        Port "vlan20"
            tag: 20
            Interface "vlan20"
                type: internal
    ovs_version: "2.1.0"

>From the opennebula server I can see this.

onevnet list
  ID USER         GROUP        NAME            CLUSTER      TYPE BRIDGE
LEASES
   0 oneadmin     oneadmin     management      ifx-produc      R manageme
    0
   1 oneadmin     oneadmin     storage         ifx-produc      R storage
    0
   6 oneadmin     oneadmin     public          ifx-produc      R public
    1

I've followed the instruction for configuring the hosting server so that
oneadmin has rights to access /var/lib/one on the hosting server as well
as sudo access to the scripts needed to create networks.

I have all the changes recommended to allow oneadmin to execute commands
through ssh to cloud1 the hosting server.

oneadmin ALL=(ALL)      NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/tgtadm, /sbin/lvcreate,
/sbin/lvremove, /bin/dd, /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl, /usr/bin/ovs-ofctl,
/usr/bin/ovs-dpctl, /sbin/iptables, /sbin/ebtables

I can instantiate hosts from templates and everything works as expected.
When I bring up a virtual host, it gets an IP from the dhcp server running
in the network. Not from the virtual network. Sorry, I can't cut and paste
that part, since the only way I can access the virtual machine is through
either VNC in sunstone or with virt-manager.

I have another server running ovswitch that works fine. The main
difference is that I used virt-manager to create the hosts, instead of
opennebula. Those five virtual servers connect fine.

[root at cloud2 ~]# ovs-vsctl show
aa56747f-d5a2-41b0-a998-48add3c62562
    Bridge public
        Port "vnet4"
            Interface "vnet4"
        Port "vnet0"
            Interface "vnet0"
        Port "vnet3"
            Interface "vnet3"
        Port public
            Interface public
                type: internal
        Port "em1"
            Interface "em1"
        Port "vnet1"
            Interface "vnet1"
        Port "vnet2"
            Interface "vnet2"
    ovs_version: "2.1.0"

On cloud1 after the host gets it's IP address from the dhcp server running
in our network, it can no longer connect to anything. I've checked
iptables rules, flushed them for testing, just to make sure. Everything
seems right, but the network isn't working.

Sure would like to buy a clue. I've been searching the web for an answer
or an idea what to do to diagnose it. I suspect what's happening is that
opennebula/sunstone is not creating the interface properly. As I
understand the ip should be assigned to the bridge, not the virtual
interface.

Sure could use some help. Even a pointer to a web site with the right
answer would be appreciated. I haven't been able to find it myself.

Sorry for cross posting, but I couldn't decide which list to post to, so I
did both.

--
Neil Schneider                          pacneil_at_linuxgeek_dot_net

This is your life. Do what you love, and do it often. If you don’t like
something, change it. If you don’t like your job, quit. If you don’t have
enough time, stop watching TV. If you are looking for the love of your
life, stop; they will be waiting for you when you start doing things you
love.”