[one-users] Configure hosts to use qemu without kvm hardware acceleration

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Tue Mar 25 05:14:16 PDT 2014

OpenNebula can be configured to use qemu emulation instead of kvm
virtualization but not per VM but in the driver definition. The type
of the VM driver can be changed from "kvm" to "qemu" in oned.conf. For
example:

--8<------
VM_MAD = [
    name       = "kvm",
    executable = "one_vmm_ssh",
    arguments  = "-t 15 -r 0 kvm",
    default    = "vmm_ssh/vmm_ssh_kvm.conf",
    type       = "qemu" ]
------>8--

This is used in the tryout images as they are already virtualized. It
will be also useful for the infrastructure Marco Fanti wants to
create.

Still this is not useful to have mixed virtualized and emulated
machines in the same host. Maybe this parameter can be changed to a VM
setting instead of a driver setting.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Carlo Daffara
<carlo.daffara at cloudweavers.eu> wrote:
> It is nevertheless an interesting feature. For example, when emulating legacy OSes like DOS or Windows 3.11 you
> have to disable KVM anyway, or the OS does not boot. (And yes, we *do* have sometimes to bring legacy operating systems
> into OpenNebula :-))
> Maybe we can add it as a feature? It should be mainly a matter of passing the "-no-kvm" switch....
> cheers,
> Carlo Daffara

Javier Fontán Muiños
Developer