[one-users] Nebula 4.6 LVM Locking

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Wed Jun 18 03:57:35 PDT 2014

>From what I see in the link you've sent this sanlock plugin works when
libvirt manages the storage, that is, cloning and deleting LVs.
OpenNebula does not use libvirt to manage storage, it is done by our
own drivers so it can be used also for xen (we don't use libvirt for
xen), VMware or other extra drivers.

We will take a look to the sanlock mechanism as we may be able to use
it without libvirt.

Another solution is this one:

http://community.opennebula.org/shared_lvm

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 1:35 PM, InterNetX - Juergen Gotteswinter
<jg at internetx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i am currently working on a 4 node one setup (4.6.1 currently), which
> uses a Equallogic iSCSI SAN als Backend for the VM.
>
> My Plan was to use Block LVM, but it seems like currently theres only
> the single lock solution (VM Nodes LVM Metadata read only) or Cluster
> LVM. CLVM is a pita, which is no Option since i had enaugh funny
> experiences with dying cman Clusters because just one Node died.
>
> But, why doesnt One Support the out of the box Locking Solution which
> comes with libvirtd? That one works like a charm, for example Ovirt uses
> it to make sure LVM Access is granted the right way.
>
> http://libvirt.org/locking.html#sanlock
>
> No RHCS, no CMAN, no CLVM pita, it just needs a shared Directory for the
> locks/leases (usually NFS). Thats it, everything else gets managed by
> libvirtd.
>
> I tried to use it wie One, it worked fine until 2 Nodes wanted to work
> on the same lv during the VM Creation Process. Which failed, because
> Sanlock sets a non-cluster LV rw or ro, depending on the Situation.
>
> Is there maybe already something implemented which i missed, or some
> kind of extension available?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Juergen

Javier Fontán Muiños