[one-users] Custom network for VM Live-migration

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Tue Jun 10 10:01:15 PDT 2014

I haven't tested this but it may work.

When you do a migration the destination host is specified. The host
name is the same as the one configured in OpenNebula so it will use
the same network as ssh connections. To use another network you can
modify the script so the destination host is changed. For example,
let's asume that the machines have 192.168.1.x for the standard
service network (ssh) and another network for migrations at 10.0.1.x.
The node names for these both networks can be the same but adding a
suffix to the migration network, something like this:

192.168.1.1 node01
10.0.1.1 node01-migration
192.168.1.2 node02
10.0.1.2 node02-migration

Now you can change the migration script to use the migration network
as destination host, for example for kvm:

exec_and_log "virsh --connect $LIBVIRT_URI migrate --live $deploy_id
$QEMU_PROTOCOL://${dest_host}-migration/system" \
    "Could not migrate $deploy_id to $dest_host"

libvirt will use ssh to create the connection to the remote host so
make sure known_hosts is correctly populated.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:46 PM, Stefan Kooman <stefan at bit.nl> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Is it possible to choose/change the network ONE uses to live-migrate the
> VM's? We've got dedicted dark-fiber between switches/DCs for
> live-migration so to not disrupt other traffic (with "live-migrate" VLAN
> on it). I guess it's not currently possible, but could be made to work if
> "migration" command (/var/lib/one/remotes/vmm/$hypervisor/migrate) would
> accept an extra argument "migrate-network" specifying the network to use
> for live-migration. This could be made a property of the cluster a host
> is a member of (every host in the cluster should have this live migrate
> network configured). What changes in ONE would be needed (besides the
> drivers) to make this work?
>
> Gr. Stefan
>

> --
> | BIT BV  http://www.bit.nl/        Kamer van Koophandel 09090351