[one-users] How to reboot a host without migrating the VMs running on it?

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Tue Jan 21 07:32:56 PST 2014

Probably: poweroff or suspend the VMs, then reboot the host. Once the host
is back online just resume the VMs... (double check that any shared FS is
properly mounted, specially those with the VM disk images)

You can also use --hard in case your VMs are not "ACPI aware". Note that
suspends saves the VM state.

Cheers

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Liu, Guang Jun (Gene) <
Gene.Liu at alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:

> I have the same needs for maintenance and performance tunning of my
> organization system. Suggestions are highly appreciated.
>
> Gene
>
> On Tue 21 Jan 2014 08:12:24 AM EST, Gerry O'Brien wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >     Is there any recommended way to reboot a host without migrating
> > the VM from it to another host?
> >
> >     The issue I have is that I need to reboot all the hosts but as
> > they are running a lot of large Windows images (up 100GB) the
> > logistics of live migration if complicated.
> >
> >     Can the image be put into a recommended state and resumes after
> > the host has restarted. I've tried shuting down the VM but this
> > doesn't seem to work. Maybe it is aWindows issue.
> >
> >         Regards,
> >             Gerry

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect