[one-users] Few issues / concern about detach/attach operation of VM disks

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Fri Jan 17 05:19:53 PST 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM, kiran ranjane <kiran.ranjane at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Hello Carlos,
>
> Thanks for the explanation, But the disk was using an image. The above
> suggestion would be good for one or two vms, What if I deploy 10 or more
> vms using same image (non persistent) and using a single Template?
>
> -- Each having their own Data-disk and each having different data in it,
> do you think the above suggestion would work?
> -- If I use the above procedure then I think I have to make 10 different
> clones of the image and Also 10 different templates to deploy the VMs,
> Which in my opinion is not feasible.
>
> If I am right, When I use non-persistent image a clone is created to
> system DS while deploying the VM, if this is correct then after the vm is
> deployed for such image it should keep the clone disk as persistent in the
> vm. This would help in deploying number of VMs from a single template and
> the data for that particular VM will also be persistent.

I think this fits the scenario described in request #2048 [1]

> Well the VM disk should have 3 buttons
>
> -- attach/detach (able to attach or detach same disk to the VM)
> -- Snapshot (Take snapshot Deferred/Hot)
> -- Delete (Delete the disk permanently from VM)
>
> What do you think on this, any suggestions?
>
> Thanks and reagrds
> Kiran Ranjane

If you could "instantiate to persistent" as described in #2048, the disk
would use an Image and the current attach+detach operations would not
delete the disk. I think that ticket would solve your use case, or is there
anything else missing?

Regards

PS: Please reply also to the mailing list.
[1] http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/2048
--
Carlos Martín, MSc