[one-users] onevnet policy violation?

Stefan Kooman stefan at bit.nl
Thu Jan 30 00:18:19 PST 2014

Hi,

I created a new vnet based on the following template:

--- template start ---
NAME    = "v-test01"
TYPE    = "ranged"
BRIDGE  = "uplink"
CLUSTER = "kvm_cluster"

NETWORK_ADDRESS = 172.17.226.0
NETWORK_MASK    = 255.255.255.224
IP_START        = 172.17.226.4
IP_END          = 172.17.226.30

GATEWAY         = 172.17.226.1

VLAN    = "YES"
VLAN_ID = 226
--- template end ---

After creation the vnet is not a member of the kvm_cluster but instead
of the default cluster "-". Is this a bug or is it me doing it wrong?
After reading [1] again it explicitly states a "vnet or datastore"
should be added with the onecluster add command, so I was doing it
wrong. It still would be nice to have it automatically added to a
cluster if "CLUSTER" attribute is there.

After that  I instantiated a vm based on a template with a mix of
resources from "kvm_cluster" and "-" (v-test01). This vm succesfully
managed to get into running state. According to [1] section "The Default
Cluster 'None'" hosts in the Cluster 'none' will only run VMs using
resources without a cluster. I assume this is equally true for hosts
that are a member of a non-default cluster (kvm_cluster in our case) but
instead it did run the vm. Indeed, according to "The "Scheduling and
Cluster" section of [1] the deployment should have failed. What info do
we need to make sure it's a bug and not PEBKAC?

Gr. Stefan

[1]:
http://docs.opennebula.org/4.4/administration/hosts_and_clusters/cluster_guide.html