[one-users] distributed frontend with raft consensus algorithm

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Wed Feb 12 02:36:57 PST 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 5:31 PM, Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan <
sharuzzaman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My last interaction with Opennebula is with the version 3.8
>
> In that version, the frontend can only be running by a single node. To
> have a redundancy, it was advised to have the frontend to be configured
> using HA tools, such as Red Hat cluster suite. See
> http://archives.opennebula.org/documentation:archives:rel4.2:oneha
>
> I believe that kind of setup is not optimal, as you have to bolt in
> another subsystem, that could potentially become another head ache to
> maintain.
>
> As alternative to external clustering system, I would like to highlight to
> the developers the availability of Raft Consensus Algorithm. See
> http://raftconsensus.github.io/
>
> This algorithm can help to maintain the availability of the frontend, in a
> fault-tolerant distributed system. With this algorithm, frontend can be run
> on the VM nodes itself, where at any given time, one of the nodes will act
> as a frontend for the whole cluster. If that "leader" node goes down, any
> other node will step up to become the next leader, and maintaining the
> availability of the frontend
>
> This can help simplify deployment, and reduce the requirement to have a
> dedicated frontend machine, with another failover machine in standby
>
> I hope this idea could be discussed futher, and implemented on the future
> release of Opennebula.
>
> thanks.
>
> --
> Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan

Thank you for your suggestion. This may be useful not only for HA, but also
for the new OpenNebula federation, where we need to have a master and
several slaves. For the first version (that will be included in 4.6) the
master will be set manually, but at some point we'll need to think of a way
to deal with master selection.

Best regards
--
Carlos Martín, MSc