[one-users] Initial installation

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at baby-gnu.org
Sun Dec 14 07:23:58 PST 2014

Michael A Cooper <nexusguy59 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Everyone,

Hello,

>           I found this link OpenNebula Ubuntu 14.04 Quickstart
> <http://docs.opennebula.org/4.6/design_and_installation/quick_starts/qs_ubuntu_kvm.html>
> to install open nebula on Ubuntu 14.04,

Note that the current stable OpenNebula[1] is 4.10.

> This includes the frontend and how to add nodes. My question is
> according to this article, I can install OpenNebula frontend right on
> the Ubuntu Server with the KVM install, is this correct?
>
> Also is it possible to have just the frontend installed by itself (non-kvm
> server), then add nodes to it, I would prefer to it that way. If it is
> possible is there a step by step document for me to use to help me through
> the process?

This article describes a multi-server setup:

- the frontend which runs the management daemons, the opennebula web
  interface (sunstone) and a NFS server

- the nodes which run libvirtd and use the NFS exported by the frontend

In the NFS configuration[2], you have a warning about setting up what I
call a « single node », i.e. everything on a single physical standalone
machine.

Some steps are already managed by the opennebula debian packages, like
the Qemu configuration.

The minimal requirement for a separated frontend is the ability for the
user oneadmin on the frontend to connect over SSH on each nodes without
passwords.

If you want live migration, you must use shared storage[3][4].

More informations are available in “planning the installation”[5].

Regards.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://docs.opennebula.org/stable/

[2]  http://docs.opennebula.org/stable/design_and_installation/quick_starts/qs_ubuntu_kvm.html#configure-nfs

[3]  http://docs.opennebula.org/stable/administration/storage/index.html

[4]  personally I never share /var/lib/one as described in the quick
     start but /var/lib/one/datastores.

[5]  http://docs.opennebula.org/stable/design_and_installation/building_your_cloud/plan.html

--
Daniel Dehennin
Récupérer ma clef GPG: gpg --recv-keys 0xCC1E9E5B7A6FE2DF