[one-users] Re-installing OpenNebula from scratch - just keeping the datastores

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Fri Apr 25 02:53:07 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM, ML mail <mlnospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of re-installing all of my ONE test installation and at the
> same time move on from 4.4 to 4.6 as soon as its released. The only thing
> that I will keep are my NFS datastores which includes VMs and images.
>

> Now I was wondering after having setup ONE 4.6 with the same network as
> the previous one and with the same datastore locations, is it somehow
> possible to recover my already existing VMs form my NFS datastore?
>
> Basically all ONE needs to know is already in the deployment.0 file so in
> theory it should be able to recover from it? If yes, how do I do that?
>
> I am thinking here that this procedure could be especially useful in the
> scenario when someone loses his whole ONE configuration and the only thing
> left are his datastores...
>
> Regards
> ML

OpenNebula can't import VMs from the deployment.0 files. There are lots of
things missing: who is the owner? That IP was hardcoded, or is a lease from
a vnet? To which Image belongs that disk, is it a link or a copy? Driver to
copy back the disk to the datastore?

I see two approaches to this:
- Save all your VM templates and Image templates. Start over, and register
everything, but for the Images use SOURCE instead of PATH to make use of
the current files in your DS.
- Upgrade to 4.6, undeploy all VMs, and delete all hosts, users, etc. you
don't want to keep.

Regards.
--
Carlos Martín, MSc