[one-users] new sunstone cloud view vs old easy provisioning

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Wed Apr 23 02:39:57 PDT 2014

Yes Rolandas, that's right. Easy provisioning is now deprecated and the
recommended easy provisioning interface is the new cloud view.

The rationale behind this is:
(1) Combining templates with images may render to non-functional VMs. For
exampla, if you setup OS/ARCH to be 64bits a 64bit Installation is needed.
You may end-up with multiple template containers each for each image type
(2) You cannot combine specific attributes for servers, for example HW
setups or placement options.
(3) It is quite difficult to combine the easy provisioning in 4.4 with
advanced features like hybrid clouds. You need to tie somehow the local
image with the remote AMI. That can only be done at the template level.
(4) Overall, the underlying OpenNebula workflow is based in VM definitions
(templates) so it's easy to expose that at higher levels.
(5) The same templates works both for cloud view and for admin/adv. user
views. No need to create specific templates.

Thanks for the testing and feedback! much appreciated

Ruben

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 8:43 PM, Rolandas Naujikas <
rolandas.naujikas at mif.vu.lt> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> New sunstone cloud view (4.6) is different from old easy provisioning
> (4.4) model and requires different setup in opennebula. If we setup
> templates ready for 4.6 cloud view, then easy provisioning is useless (it
> is disabled by default).
>
> Regards, Rolandas

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect