[one-users] restricted_attr in oned.conf of ON44

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Thu Apr 17 14:37:05 PDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Hyun Woo Kim <hyunwoo at fnal.gov> wrote:

>  Hi Ruben,
>
>  Thanks for the message. (It's still confusing to me though.)
>
>  Let me see if I understand this right.
>
>  In "Merge Use Case" section of
> http://docs.opennebula.org/4.4/user/virtual_resource_management/vm_guide.html
>
> suppose there is VM_RESTRICTED_ATTR="CPU" in oned.conf.
> This only prevents non-oneadmin-group users from
> using —cpu option to onetemplate instantiate command
> but it (VM_RESTRICTED_ATTR="CPU" in oned.conf) does NOT prevent users from
> using
> CPU attribute in their VM templates. Is this right?

Right (although they won't be able to instantiate them)

>  In ON3.2, src/vm/VirtualMachineTemplate.cc has the following code
> [A] =
> const string VirtualMachineTemplate::RESTRICTED_ATTRIBUTES[] = {
>        "CONTEXT/FILES",
> "DISK/SOURCE",
>         "NIC/MAC",
>         "NIC/VLAN_ID",
>         "RANK"
> };
>
>  We know that this prevents non-oneadmin-users from using for example
> CONTEXT/FILES attribute in their template
> so we had to modify the above to comment out CONTEXT/FILES and RANK.
>
>  But it looks like this array is gone now but the new entries in oned.cof
> (VM_RESTRICTED_ATTR) has NOT inherited the functionality.

You are right, we've restructured the code, and probably move the checks to
onetemplate instantiate / onevm create.

>  So, in summary, looks like there is restriction that prevents normal
> users from using
> those attributes [A] in their templates.
>

>  Do I understand right?

In summary, template checks for restricted attributes are made:

1.- on VM template instantiate (onetemplate instantiate)
2.- on VM create (onevm create)
3.- on VM attach nic (onevm attachnic) (for example to not allow users to
use NIC/MAC)

Hope it is clearer now,

Cheers

Ruben