[one-users] Virtual machine vlan tagging

Neil Schneider neil at ifxonline.com
Wed Apr 23 16:44:17 PDT 2014

I'm running OpenNebula in a virtual machine using openvswitch to connect
the machines. I've tried creating a virtual network in libvirt attached to
the  bridge device then attached to it. I tried configuring with the
network interfaces connected directly to the bridge. I keep running into a
problem, where the virtual machine wants to add it's own tag to the
interface. I've been googling 'till I'm blue in the face and I can't seem
to find why vlan tags are getting attached to the devices without me
configuring them and it's ignoring any vlan tags I try to impose. Here's
what ovs-vsctl shows me.

ovs-vsctl show
c6def17d-2cc6-499e-a461-af4fe9aab78a
    Bridge management
        Port "veth1_one"
            tag: 1
            Interface "veth1_one"
        Port management
            Interface management
                type: internal
        Port "vlan10"
            tag: 10
            Interface "vlan10"
                type: internal
    Bridge storage
        Port storage
            Interface storage
                type: internal
        Port "vlan20"
            tag: 20
            Interface "vlan20"
                type: internal
        Port "veth2_one"
            tag: 2
            Interface "veth2_one"
    Bridge public
        Port "vnet0"
            Interface "vnet0"
        Port "veth3_one"
            Interface "veth3_one"
        Port "em1"
            Interface "em1"
        Port public
            Interface public
                type: internal
    ovs_version: "2.1.0"

veth1_one and veth2_one are interfaces on the virtual machine. Notice the
tags. I have that configured no where and I can't seem to find where it's
coming from. Of course it keeps the virtual machines from communicating.
The interface that has no vlan associated with it works as expected. It's
the two other interfaces designated management and storage that I'm having
issues with.

I sure could use some help finding why this is happening. I don't mind
having vlan tags associated, but I want to determine what they are.

Neil Schneider