[one-users] Desktop Provisioning with OpenNebula

Carlo Daffara carlo.daffara at cloudweavers.eu
Wed Sep 4 00:58:41 PDT 2013

You can provide virtual desktops directly, in a 1-to-1 arrangement, without any specific adaptation. We have several VDI installs based on opennebula, with Windows 7 (and some XP) virtualized through KVM. We use the SPICE protocol, that is quite low-latency, supports multimedia and usb redirection. You can use non-persistent images for specific cases (like schools- you start 20 windows non-persistent images in the morning, leave the student to utterly trash them, then destroy the VMs in the evening), and if your storage backend support snapshots you can even have something quite near to thin provisioning.
For application publishing (ie. like Citrix XenApp) we use Ulteo with quite some good results. http://www.ulteo.com/home/
It is an open source application publisher that creates remotely accessible desktops via RDP, so that you can control what apps are available and what are not.
best regards
Carlo Daffara
CloudWeavers