[one-users] ONE best practices and cluster design

Gabriel Cain gabriel at moz.com
Fri Sep 13 15:02:34 PDT 2013

Hi folks.

So I'm new the the mailing list, and fairly new to Open Nebula.  I've been
working on understanding how to set it all up over the last month or so.
I've got it where I can do all the things, and that's pretty cool.

Where I'm at now is that I'm trying to figure out how to turn a system on a
few nodes into a proper production cluster.

Some background on the goals:
* We're planning on moving out of EC2 for a lot of our dedicated compute.
* I have a lot of powerful machines to work with -- 32 Dell blades (128G
ram / 64 CPUs), 30 Dell C-220 servers (128G ram, 64 CPUs, 8 disk bays)
* I have a few TB of Netapp backed NAS

I'm not finding a lot of information on how to design such a cluster to
properly perform.  I'm worried about disk IO on the NFS volumes.

I'm leaning towards putting the blades on the NFS volume for their SYSTEM
datastore, and doing SSDs for the C220s for their SYSTEM datastore.  I'm
not sure I'm doing it right when it comes to those.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some guidance on how to take an experimental cluster
to being a production cluster such that I have high reliability and
availability here.

-Gabriel