[one-users] Backup and Restore

Carlo Daffara carlo.daffara at cloudweavers.eu
Thu Oct 31 01:44:03 PDT 2013

There are many solutions; apart from using kvm snapshots (and later image rebuild to have a single clone) we prefer the use of a filesystem that allows for atomic snapshots (like BTRFS) or
a distributed filesystem with the same properties (like Ceph). You snapshot the entire datastore or the single file you want, and then reimport it within opennebula.
Take care of one thing: if you are using cache=writeback in KVM (or the equivalent in xen or vmware) you are risking inconsistencies, unless you stop the VM, as there are probably outstanding writes that needs to be committed to disk that will not appear in the snapshot at all.
Carlo Daffara