[one-users] context mac address

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Mon Oct 28 05:23:42 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Michael Curran <
michael.curran at connectsolutions.com> wrote:

> I have tried Carlos’ suggestion below and also these now
>
> ETH0_MAC="$NIC[MAC,ID=\"0\"]"
> ETH0_MAC="$VMNIC[MAC,ID=\"0\"]"
> ETH0_MAC="$VM_NIC[MAC,ID=\"0\"]"
>
> With no such luck in finding the MAC so I can do MAC matching to assign
> IP’s across multiple NICs based on that MAC

The example I gave in my first email is working for me.

For this template:

CPU="0.1"
MEMORY="128"
NIC=[
  NETWORK_ID="0" ]
CONTEXT=[
  ETH0_MAC="$NIC[MAC, NETWORK_ID=\"0\"]",
  NETWORK="yes" ]

I get this VM:

[...]
CONTEXT=[
   DISK_ID="0",
  ETH0_DNS="192.168.0.1",
  ETH0_GATEWAY="192.168.0.1",
  ETH0_IP="192.168.0.3",
  ETH0_MAC="02:00:c0:a8:00:03",
  ETH0_MASK="255.255.255.0",
  ETH0_NETWORK="192.168.0.0",
  NETWORK="yes",
  TARGET="hda" ]

> The contextualization variables syntax is explained here [1].
> > [1] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel4.2:cong
> That page is explanatory on how to put them together, but not how to
> obtain what is available – maybe MAC isn’t available with $NIC ??

What is the correct variable pattern to use – is there a comprehensive list
> of these variables listed somewhere?

No, we don't have a complete list of variables, because you can use any
attribute. To see all your available attributes, instantiate a VM, and use
the --all or -x options of onevm show.

For example, I get this output for the previous VM:

$ onevm show 1 --all
[...]
VM NICS

 ID NETWORK              VLAN BRIDGE       IP              MAC
  0 ranged                 no virbr0       192.168.0.3     02:00:c0:a8:00:03
                                           fe80::400:c0ff:fea8:3

VIRTUAL MACHINE TEMPLATE
[...]
NIC=[
  BRIDGE="virbr0",
  IP="192.168.0.3",
  IP6_LINK="fe80::400:c0ff:fea8:3",
  MAC="02:00:c0:a8:00:03",
  NETWORK="ranged",
  NETWORK_ID="0",
  NIC_ID="0",
  VLAN="NO" ]

This means that I can use any of the following expressions inside the
CONTEXT section:
ETH0_IPV6="$NIC[IP6_LINK, NIC_ID=\"0\"]",
ETH0_MAC="$NIC[MAC, NETWORK=\"ranged\"]",
ETH0_NETWORK_NAME="$NIC[NETWORK, BRIDGE=\"virbr0\"]"

But instead of doing this, maybe we should add the ETHx_MAC attribute with
the rest of the network contextualization, when the CONTEXT/NETWORK=YES
attribute is found. This could be easily added to the next release.

Regards
--
Carlos Martín, MSc