[one-users] Ubuntu Cloud Images

Tobias Brunner tobias at tobru.ch
Fri Oct 18 13:36:18 PDT 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply.

> Assuming you are using a KVM hypervisor,

Yes, I'm using KVM with libivrt.

> you will need:
>
> - A serial port on your VM [1].
> - DHCP on the network (just do a static One Mac to IP)
> - Opennebula-metadata server [2]
>
> They will work without any changes afterwards, and you can even use
> cloud-init to contextualize them.
>
> If you need more than the 2GB they have, just increase the size of the
> qcow2.
>
> qemu-img resize filename [+ | -]size
> No need to change the filesystem inside of it. Cloud-init will
> increase the size of the ext fs to the qcow size.

I've tried to get it running using your hints, but I seem to miss
several things. Here's what I did until now:

* Installed and started opennebula-metadata server. Verified that it's
running:
oneadmin 11123  0.0  1.3 179076 26812 ?        Sl   21:01   0:02 ruby
/usr/lib/one/ruby/cloud/metadata/metadata-server.rb
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8775            0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      11123/ruby

* Downloaded
http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/saucy/current/saucy-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img

* Imported the .img file into the image store: oneimage create -d 101
--name saucy-cloud-amd64 --path
/tmp/saucy-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img --type OS

* Created a template:

CONTEXT=[
   NETWORK="YES" ]
CPU="1"
DISK=[
   IMAGE_ID="41" ]
GRAPHICS=[
   LISTEN="0.0.0.0",
   TYPE="VNC" ]
MEMORY="1024"
NIC=[
   NETWORK_ID="0" ]
OS=[
   ARCH="x86_64" ]
RAW=[
type='pty'><target type='serial' port='0'/></console>",
   TYPE="kvm" ]

* Instantied a VM with this template: onetemplate instantiate 19 --name
ucitest

The VM is now running and booted from the cloud image (I see this using
the VNC console). But:
* Looking at the generated libvirt XML, the two parameters "serial" and
"console" are missing. What could be wrong with the template?
* The VM seems not to get data from the metadata server. How does the VM
find the metadata server? The DHCP server assigned an IP to this VM and
the IP is pingable. But how does the VM know the IP to contact for the
metadata? Are there any other parameters which must be passed on? How
can I set a password to log into the VM?

Some other questions: Could the disk be automatically resized using
http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/1727? Will the metadata server find
it's way into the opennebula distribution?

Thanks for clarifying things...

Cheers,
Tobias