[one-users] can I bakup vm use opennebula

Ricardo Duarte rjtd21 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 15 12:30:15 PDT 2013

Hi,

I can give you my example:

I'm currently backing up my datastores (/var/lib/one/datastore) directories, the database and my One server.
- I issue a virsh suspend for all VMs running on my one hosts, then do a snapshot on my storage device (you can also do it with LVM), and then I copy the directory contents from the snapshot to tape.
- I also dump the One database with Mysql dump, and also copy to the same tape
- As my One server is virtualized I also copy it's VM to storage (don't suspend it tho)

In case of disaster:
- I restore the One server
- Then I restore the database
- Then, I restore the datastore directories
- And then I start the One daemons

In case I just want to retrieve a VM

Scenario 1: the vm is still running
- I shutdown the VM
- Restore the /var/lib/one/datastore/<system>/<vm id> directory
- Power on the VM again

Scenario 2: the vm was deleted, and I want it back to the One server
- Restore the /var/lib/one/datastore/<system>/<vm id> directory
- Create a new machine, from the same template, and power it off
- Copy the disk from the restored machine to the new machine
- Power the machine on

Scenario 3: the vm was deleted, and I just want my data
- Restore the /var/lib/one/datastore/<system>/<vm id> directory
- use libguestfs to get the contents from the virtual disk, if it is a qcow2; use a mount -o loop if it is raw

Regards,
Ricardo