[one-users] Shutting down a VM from within the VM

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan sharuzzaman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 19:27:13 PDT 2013

Hi Parag,

I believe OpenNebula need to have human intervention to really determine
whether to remove or not the VM that it has deployed.

I also think that you can write a script that signal or call OpenNebula
command as soon as the task finish, to shutdown the VM. Or if direct
calling command not possible, maybe your application can write some status
in a database, and a script in OpenNebula read that status and make
decision from it.

Thanks.

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Parag Mhashilkar <parag at fnal.gov> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does OpenNebula EC2 interface support shutting down a VM from with in the
> VM itself and have the scheduler recognize that VM has been
> stopped/shutdown? How do we enable this feature? At Fermi, we have
> OpenNebula v3.2 and when the VM is shutdown it stays in the UNKNOWN state.
> Can OpenNebula get this ACPI shutdown info from virsh and handle the
> situation more gracefully rather than putting the VM in UKNOWN state?
>
> Here is an example why I think something like this is useful:
>
> When VMs are launched to perform certain tasks (classical equivalent of
> batch nodes), only the processes running in the VM know when the task is
> done and can shutdown the VM freeing up the resources. Running VM past the
> task life is wasted resources and controlling the lifetime of VM from
> outside is not always possible.
>
> In case of AWS, it supports following which is very good feature to have
> when controlling the VMs in above scenario.
> ec2-run-instaces --instance-initiated-shutdown-behavior <stop|terminate>
>
> How do we achieve this with Opennebula?
>
> Thanks & Regards
> +==========================================================
> | Parag Mhashilkar
> | Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, MS 120
> | Wilson & Kirk Road, Batavia, IL - 60510
> | Phone: 1 (630) 840-6530 Fax: 1 (630) 840-2783
> | Wilson Hall, 806E (Nov 8, 2012 - To date)
> | Wilson Hall, 867E (Nov 17, 2010 - Nov 7, 2012)
> | Wilson Hall, 863E (Apr 24, 2007 - Nov 16, 2010)
> | Wilson Hall, 856E (Mar 21, 2005 - Apr 23, 2007)

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan