[one-users] @vm contextualization

Valentin Bud valentin.bud at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 23:49:53 PDT 2013

Hello anagha,

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 2:28 PM, anagha b <banagha3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> i am using opennbula-3.8.3  with kvm and want to contextualize vm using
> susntone .

You have to contextualize the machine before using it. That means you have
to install the contextualization
packages. Please do yourself a favor and read the contextualization
overview [1]. Also read the fine docs on
how to contextualize the VM for 3.8 [2].

> plz help. Is it necessary to create template to contextualize vm created
> using NAT?

Contextualization is simply some scripts that are run when the VM is
booted. Those scripts come
with the contextualization packages, which are available as DEB and RPMs so
they work on RHEL and Debian
based operating systems.

The scripts activate swap, configure network interfaces based on interface
MAC address and some other stuff.

> or contextulization is necessary for bridged mode?

Contextualization is needed if you want your machine to "autoconfigure" the
IP address and have the OpenNebula users' SSH
public to be set as root's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys so you are able to SSH
securely to it.

> I want communication between vms of different vlan.

If you want communication between VLANs you can either use the Virtual
Router [3] or you can provide routing using your host(s).
It is up to you. Remember that routing is a function provided by a
networking equipment, in this case the Virtual Router or the host.

[1]: http://opennebula.org/documentation:archives:rel3.8:context_overview
[2]: http://opennebula.org/documentation:archives:rel3.8:cong
[3]: http://opennebula.org/documentation:archives:rel3.8:router

Please read the docs and come back if you need more help. Next time provide
more information about your setup so we can
help you further. Info like network driver, OS you are using, OS you want
to use as your VMs and such

Good Will,
--
Valentin Bud