[one-users] HA ONED / SUNSTONE considerations

Stefan Kooman stefan at bit.nl
Fri Oct 11 03:59:50 PDT 2013

Hi list,

I'm planning for a HA ONED setup, i.e. HA "Frontend"
(oned/mm_sched/onecctd), sunstone (Load-Balanced) and hosts. Initially I was planning to
use hardware for the different components, something along the lines of:

  sunstone                         sunstone
     |                                |
     |-------------  LB  --------------
     |                                |
     |                                |
     |                                |
     |                                |
    oned                            oned
     |                                |
     |-------------  HA  --------------
     |     (pacemaker / corosync)     |
     |                                |
     |                                |
host1 ------ host2 ------- host3 ------- host4

With hosts, oned en sunstone each on seperate dedicated physical boxes. That's
quite a bit of hardware doing mostly "nothing". Especially if you setup
several independant clouds like this. Instead of using dedicated
physical hardware, a setup consisting of VM's running on top of (two of) the hosts
might be a more efficient possibility. Do you have any experience with such a
setup? Do you see any big drawbacks in using VM's instead of hardware?
Do you want to share your HA setup design considerations with me?

Thanks,

Gr. Stefan