[one-users] space utilization on datastores in <=4.4

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Thu Nov 21 02:20:41 PST 2013

Hi

Disk storage consumption is computed based on image SIZE. This size is
obtained when the image is registered in the datastore. This size is
computed using the fs_size function libfs.sh, it performs different
operations depending on the source type (e.g. gzip files, http sources).
For regular files it eventually calls stat, this gives you the apparent
size, so no problem with sparses.

However it should call qemu-img info for qcow2 to get the virtual size.
This will be easier than update the file size every update, and safer.

We have an issue for this:

http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/1770

Cheers

Ruben

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Rolandas Naujikas <
rolandas.naujikas at mif.vu.lt> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing a problem with space utilization calculations in face of sparse
> and qcow2 images. Those could occupy less space initially, but grow later.
> So system datastores can be overprovisioned. Should I open new bug report
> or add this as comment to some feature/gut report ?
>
> Regards, Rolandas

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect