[one-users] Create Swap locally

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Fri Nov 15 01:18:40 PST 2013

Hi

This could be done by modifying the mkswap script from the shared driver.
As you'll see it is just calling mkimage, so you either use that script for
mkswap with the following modifications, or update mkimage so the changes
will affect to all volatile disks. So my proposal would be:

1.- Create a local storage area in the hosts e.g. /var/scratch
2.- Update the scrtip to create the volumes in that directory
3.- Link the file in /var/scratch to the path currently used in mkimage
4.- Update the delete script so when a file linked to /var/scratch is
deleted it'll follow the link.

Good luck,

Ruben

PS: OpenNebula 4.4 does also report storage size for system DS and
considers the space left to make scheduling decisions. To apply this to 4.4
it'd need to update the monitor_ds.sh probe to report the size of
/var/scratch.

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Alberto Picón Couselo
<alpicon1 at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hello everybody,
>
> Is it possible to add a swap file to a VM template that is located/created
> on the fly using the local filesystem of the hypervisor?.
>
> I think that this feature could improve performance a lot. Sometimes is
> impossible to avoid VMs to write to swap and currently all the swap files
> are mounted over NFS using 0 datastore.
>
> Can you please give me a clue to achieve this feature?
>
> Best Regards,
> Alberto Picón

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect