[one-users] KVM process at 99% CPU

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Thu Nov 7 10:00:04 PST 2013

Most, if not all, modern operating systems set the CPU to sleep mode
when they don't need to be used. The problem here is that the VMs are
not running a OS but a boot loader and it does not implement this
feature so it is using all the CPU cycles doing nothing. In this
regard KVM nor OpenNebula can help.

The only tip I can give you is to use cgroups to limit the total
amount of CPU a VM can use:

http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel4.2:kvmg#working_with_cgroups_optional

Javier Fontán Muiños
Developer