[one-users] ONE 4.0.1 - OCCI does'nt work (Users Digest, Vol 63, Issue 101)

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Thu May 30 03:28:26 PDT 2013

Hi Rolandas

I understand your frustration, specially if you have invested time and
effort in setting up a self-service portal based on the OCCI interface.
Just wanted to share with you the rationale behind that decision:

1.- First this is a structural decision and not a functionality one. This
is, we've replaced the OCCI interface (self-service) with Sunstone
(sunstone-views), but just to provide the same self-provisioning
capability. As this is the first release there may be some self-service
features that lag behind.

2.- Although there are some functional regressions, that in most cases can
be workaround'ed, the new component is more flexible and gives more
functionality in other aspects. Just to mention a few of them: integration
with app-flow, fine-grained definition of the provisioning schema, support
for the full set of actions, better support for VDC...

3.- OpenNebula is growing in all aspects: community, user base and also in
code. We are seeing a lot of fragmentation in other open source projects,
you mentioned OpenStack. We do not want OpenNebula to become a fragmented
set of components with a heterogeneous quality and support cycles.
Maintaining and improving one component is better than working on two; and
it is easier to present a coherent release cycle, roadmap, and support
policy.

4.- We are strongly committed to other's people work. Backward
compatibility has been always the first thing to consider when making a
decision in OpenNebula. There are some asymmetries in OpenNebula as some of
you have pointed out, we've always preferred to deal with them rather than
breaking third party components.

5.- It was difficult to replace Self-service with OCCI (we've also dropped
a significant amount of work). If you still need it, we are releasing
briefly 3.8.4 (service-pack) a kind of LTS of OpenNebula 3 series. That
will be supported so you can keep your systems in 3.8 till Sunstone Views
levels with the Self service functionality that you are missing.

Thanks for your comments and continued support

Ruben