[one-users] MySQL Engine

Simon Boulet simon at nostalgeek.com
Mon May 13 06:04:20 PDT 2013

Hi,

As you stated, MyISAM was still the default until MySQL 5.5. You can change
the default in previous versions of MySQL by setting
"default-storage-engine" in your MySQL my.cnf.

OpenNebula doesn't have any fancy database requirements. It uses a "flat"
schema where each object type (vm, host, image, etc.) gets its own table.
And it doesn't use foreign keys. In fact, for smaller installation using
SQLite for the database is perfectly fine. When OpenNebula starts it loads
all the objects from the database into its own memory, and hits the DB only
for updating, so its mostly write intensive (an area where generally InnoDB
is more effective than  MyISAM).

Instead of investing time changing OpenNebula to be able to specify the
MySQL engine to use, I think we should invest time in writing a guide on
how to optimize the OpenNebula database for large installations. Also some
interesting things worth investigating would be the performance impact of
changing OpenNebula to disable internal caching and instead rely
exclusively on the DB (which already does its own caching). Also looking at
using plain key/store NOSQL databases instead of MySQL (I'd love to see
OpenNebula running on MongoDB).

Simon