[one-users] Relationship of cpu usages

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Thu May 9 07:35:09 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Christoph Pleger <
Christoph.Pleger at cs.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > We have the "logical" OpenNebula level enforcement, and the hypervisor
> > level.
> >
> > First one: the OpenNebula scheduler will not allocate more cpu/memory
> than
> > the Host reports as available.
> >
> > Hypervisor level reservation: cgroups for kvm, credit scheduler for xen,
> > and the esx cpu scheduler for vmware
>
> So, if I understand correctly, it is like following:
>
> 1. One real CPU core represents 100 percent of CPU capacity.
>
> 2. The CPU value in VM Templates is related to one CPU core.
>
> 3. From the CPU values, OpenNebula calculates how much of the capacity of
> a cloud node is already used.
>
> 4. If a node does not have enough CPU capacity for a new VM, the VM is not
> started on that node.
>
> 5. For the kvm hypervisor, OpenNebula can use the cgroup feature to
> enforce relationship between CPU values of different VMs.
>
> Is this correct?

That's right.

>  >>  I am also wondering why, in sunstone, one cloud node with one VM
> >> running
> >> on it shows a CPU usage of 6400. I thought that this is because the user
> >> set CPU=8, VCPU=8 and 8*8=64, but if CPU= is related to one physical
> >> CPU,
> >> that cannot be true ...
> >>

> > Can you please paste the output of 'onehost show <id>' ?
>
> HOST 151 INFORMATION
> ID                    : 151
> NAME                  : node18
> CLUSTER               : -
> STATE                 : MONITORED
> IM_MAD                : im_kvm
> VM_MAD                : vmm_kvm
> VN_MAD                : ebtables
> LAST MONITORING TIME  : 04/29 17:06:11
>
> HOST SHARES
> TOTAL MEM             : 252.4G
> USED MEM (REAL)       : 9.1G
> USED MEM (ALLOCATED)  : 8G
> TOTAL CPU             : 6400
> USED CPU (REAL)       : 384
> USED CPU (ALLOCATED)  : 6400
> RUNNING VMS           : 1
>
> MONITORING INFORMATION
> ARCH="x86_64"
> CPUSPEED="2100"
> FREECPU="6016.0"
> FREEMEMORY="255101900"
> HOSTNAME="cloudhost18"
> HYPERVISOR="kvm"
> MODELNAME="AMD Opteron(TM) Processor 6272 "
> NETRX="0"
> NETTX="0"
> TOTALCPU="6400"
> TOTALMEMORY="264614860"
> USEDCPU="384.0"
> USEDMEMORY="9512960"

According to that, the host is running 1 VM with the template
CPU=64
MEMORY=8192

So if you only requested cpu=8, something went wrong... Can you think of
anything that might have triggered this? A failed migration, oned
segfault....

Cheers

--
Join us at OpenNebulaConf2013 <http://opennebulaconf.com/> in Berlin, 24-26