[one-users] Trouble starting up Virtual Machine from marketplace

Mark Farragher mark at firstfocus.eu
Wed Mar 27 10:29:23 PDT 2013

Hi Javier,

Interesting! That would explain why I can never get any VM to boot. But the images seem to be okay. This is my front end:

	oneadmin at metroplex:/etc/one$ ls  /var/lib/one/datastores/101/8231dd33c68c873afa94f1deff1688d2 -al
	-rw-rw---- 1 oneadmin oneadmin 11811160064 Mar 27 14:41 /var/lib/one/datastores/101/8231dd33c68c873afa94f1deff1688d2

And this is the deploy folder on the host:

	root at Pinky:/opt/one/datastores/0/21# ls -al
	total 11534352
	drwxr-xr-x 2 oneadmin cloud        4096 Mar 27 17:04 .
	drwxr-xr-x 3 oneadmin cloud        4096 Mar 27 17:02 ..
	-rw-r--r-- 1 oneadmin cloud         976 Mar 27 17:04 deployment.0
	-rw-r----- 1 oneadmin cloud 11811160064 Mar 27 17:04 disk.0

Both files are 11GB in size. In the PROLOG phase I can see 11 GB being transferred from the front end to the host.

I also tested with another virtual machine, like this:

1. I manually created a new VM on the host in virt-manager
2. I booted the VM, connected over the network using SSH, installed some software in it and verified that everything is ok.
3. I then copied the image file of this working vm (30GB) to the front end and created an OpenNebula image with it
4. I tried to boot a new VM in OpenNebula using this image.

This gives the exact same error. Isn't it strange that two unrelated disk images both get corrupted in the same way as soon as I put them in OpenNebula?

My OpenNebula version is 3.6.0 and my host OS is:

	oneadmin at Pinky:/opt/one/datastores/0$ cat /etc/issue
	Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 \n \l

	oneadmin at Pinky:/opt/one/datastores/0$ uname -a
	Linux Pinky 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Feb 25 00:26:11 UTC 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My front end OS is the same :

	oneadmin at metroplex:/etc/one$ cat /etc/issue
	Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 \n \l

	oneadmin at metroplex:/etc/one$ uname -a
	Linux metroplex 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Feb 25 00:26:11 UTC 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Is it possible the images are okay and the full 11GB is transferred, but the booting VM is somehow unable to deal with lvm partitions and therefore only sees the boot partition? Do I need to install or upgrade something to get lvm support in kvm working?

Kind regards,
Mark Farragher