[one-users] Trouble starting up Virtual Machine from marketplace

Mark Farragher mark at firstfocus.eu
Wed Mar 27 08:49:41 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I am trying to start up my first virtual machine on my OpenNebula configuration but I keep getting errors. As soon as the VM enters the RUNNING state I see start-up errors inside the VM that the boot device cannot be found.

Here's my setup:

I have 2 servers: an OpenNebula controller (running Sunstone) and an OpenNebula host. My oned.conf file contains this setting:

	# MDF 270313: changed datastore location
	DATASTORE_LOCATION = /opt/one/datastores

.. so all images are instantiated in the /opt/one folder instead of the /var/lib/one folder. I needed to do this because of the partitioning scheme of my host.

On the controller I installed the disk image "Ubuntu Server 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) - kvm" from the Marketplace. This is an 11GB image containing a contextualized version of Ubuntu Server 12.04. I did not specify a device prefix or target so the image will use "hd" and "hda".

My Virtual Machine Template looks like this:

CPU="0.10"
DISK=[
  BUS="virtio",
  IMAGE_ID="3" ]
FEATURES=[
  ACPI="yes",
  PAE="yes" ]
GRAPHICS=[
  LISTEN="localhost",
  PORT="5911",
  TYPE="vnc" ]
MEMORY="2000"
NAME="Ubuntu 12.04 Test"
NIC=[
  IP="10.0.0.11",
  MODEL="virtio",
  NETWORK="virtual machine lan" ]
OS=[
  ARCH="x86_64" ]
RAW=[
  TYPE="kvm" ]
TEMPLATE_ID="1"

Note that I added a "BUS" argument in the DISK section and a "MODEL" argument in the NIC section to make the VM use the virtio driver.

When I start a new VM using this template I see the VM going from PENDING -> PROLOG -> RUNNING. But if I connect to the host using Nomachine and then use virt-manager to inspect the console of the virtual machine, I see this:

In case the screenshot does not appear correctly in this e-mail, the start up messages are:

TCP cubic registered
NET: Registered protocol family 10
Mobile IPv6
NET: Registered protocol family 17
registered taskstats version 1
rtc_cmos 00:01: setting system clock to ......
Initializing network drop monitor service
List of all partitions:
No filesystem could mount root, tried:
Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(254,32)
Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1
Call trace .....

Nothing I have tried so far has made this problem go away. I already tried :

using a different image file
adding and removing the BUS argument in the DISK section
using different DEVICE PREFIX and disk target settings
experimenting with persistent and non-persistent disks

I know my OpenNebula configuration is working because :

I can see the host CPU load and memory use in Sunstone
The image files transfer correctly from the front end to the host and appear in /opt/one/datastores in the correct folder
The virtual machine ends up in the RUNNING state
I am able to manually start VM's on the host by using virt-manager

Right now I have a working KVM installation and I am able to manually create KVM images and run them in virt-manager. But when I try to use OpenNebula to create and deploy KVM images I see a new VM appear in virt-manager but it does not boot.

What could this be?

Thanks for any support on this!

Regards,

 - Mark Farragher