[one-users] Trying jclouds to manage OpenNebula

Giovanni Toraldo me at gionn.net
Tue Mar 19 16:12:17 PDT 2013

Hi,

just to share a few discoveries of the last few days.

I've tried to manage OpenNebula instances with jclouds [1]. It doesn't
comes with a native OpenNebula driver, however it contains a generic
EC2 driver, that could be used along with the OpenNebula econe-server.

Hence some rough edges [2] [3], I've achieved to succesfully
authenticate, and retrieve the list of available images and active
instances.

Unfortunately, to be able to instantiate new VMs with jclouds, it
looks like that the CreateSecurityGroup method should be implemented
in econe-server (since jclouds relies on it to manage instances
grouping, even when launching a single instance).

Is that feasible with the current OpenNebula, without a way to
logically group instances together? Maybe injecting a custom variable
in the templates?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated, thanks!

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds
[2] http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/1816
[3] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/issues/1434

--