[one-users] opennebula 3.8.1 + clvm

Marlok Tamás tmarlok at sztaki.hu
Tue Mar 12 03:41:44 PDT 2013

Hi Jaime,

I examined the new lvm driver and compared it with shared_lvm.
I think, the only difference between them, is that in shared_lvm all of the
lvm commands are executed on the frontend (as we described in here:
http://wiki.opennebula.org/shared_lvm).
I would like to suggest, that you should consider to adapt this behaviour
in the new lvm driver.
(Or in the case of the one driver, the HOST configured in the datastore
config should execute this commands, but not the host, running the VM.)

I can't see any drawback of this approach, but in this way, CLVM wouldn't
be necessary (refer the wiki article).

We couldn't use CLVM for various reasons, but it would be much easier for
us (I think not just for us) if we could use the LVM driver already
implemented in OpenNebula, instead of shared_lvm.

I see, that in the datastore driver scripts this is the current behaviour.
So only the tm scripts should be modified.

If you can agree with this, but don't have the time for implementing, just
let me know, I can create a patch for you. Or if I am wrong let me know
that too :).

Cheers,
Tamas