[one-users] unable to attach disks to VMs: 'driver' expects a driver name and other error messages

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Mon Jun 17 03:02:33 PDT 2013

Hello Lars,

this is a bug. It should work without explicitely setting the DRIVER
attribute. I've just created a bug report:
http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/2131

Finally, one VM actually seems to successfully get its image attached,
> but then I don't see the image inside the Ubuntu guest, not even after
> I modprobe pci_hotplug and acpiphp, detach it, and attach it again.

Well, that depends on the kernel version and many other factors. It's up to
the guest system to detect the new drive. Can you see it if you reboot the
VM?

cheers,
Jaime

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Lars Buitinck <L.J.Buitinck at uva.nl> wrote:

> 2013/5/31  <users-request at lists.opennebula.org>:
> > Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 15:28:26 +0200
> > From: Lars Buitinck <L.J.Buitinck at uva.nl>
> > To: users at lists.opennebula.org
> > Subject: [one-users] unable to attach disks to VMs: 'driver' expects a
> >         driver name and other error messages
> >
> > I've been struggling for hours now trying to attach disk images to
> > running VMs in OpenNebula. While for two of my five VMs, this has
> > actually worked, it's failing for the three remaining ones.
> >
> > I've successfully created images, using DEV_PREFIX=vd; this is the
> > setup that eventually worked for two of the VMs. When I try to attach
> > these disks, I get various different error messages, depending on the
> > VM.
>
> [snip]
>
> > But filling in a DRIVER in the image template doesn't work either.
> > Making a new VM with either a "raw" or other driver also fails. (I
> > must admit I don't understand what this "driver" field really does and
> > I couldn't find anything in the documentation.)
>
> Just to let you know, I've resolved the problem by setting DRIVER to
> "raw" at image construction and filling in the TARGET field with
> "vdb". Strangely, the disks still emerge as /dev/vda, which is
> actually convenient for sysad purposes, but still somewhat surprising.
>
> --
> Lars Buitinck
> Scientific programmer, ILPS
> University of Amsterdam