[one-users] unable to attach disks to VMs: 'driver' expects a driver name and other error messages

Lars Buitinck L.J.Buitinck at uva.nl
Sat Jun 1 04:13:44 PDT 2013

2013/5/31  <users-request at lists.opennebula.org>:
> Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 15:28:26 +0200
> From: Lars Buitinck <L.J.Buitinck at uva.nl>
> To: users at lists.opennebula.org
> Subject: [one-users] unable to attach disks to VMs: 'driver' expects a
>         driver name and other error messages
>
> I've been struggling for hours now trying to attach disk images to
> running VMs in OpenNebula. While for two of my five VMs, this has
> actually worked, it's failing for the three remaining ones.
>
> I've successfully created images, using DEV_PREFIX=vd; this is the
> setup that eventually worked for two of the VMs. When I try to attach
> these disks, I get various different error messages, depending on the
> VM.

[snip]

> But filling in a DRIVER in the image template doesn't work either.
> Making a new VM with either a "raw" or other driver also fails. (I
> must admit I don't understand what this "driver" field really does and
> I couldn't find anything in the documentation.)

Just to let you know, I've resolved the problem by setting DRIVER to
"raw" at image construction and filling in the TARGET field with
"vdb". Strangely, the disks still emerge as /dev/vda, which is
actually convenient for sysad purposes, but still somewhat surprising.

--
Lars Buitinck
Scientific programmer, ILPS