[one-users] management of qcow2 images

Rolandas Naujikas rolandas.naujikas at mif.vu.lt
Mon Jul 15 07:33:34 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 2013-07-15 14:35, Ruben S. Montero wrote:
> Hi Rolandas
>
> So the problem is how to update the version of an image, right? We are
> currently copying the new file to the SOURCE of the image something like:
>
> cp debian_new.qcow2 `oneimage show debian |  | grep SOURCE | cut -d':' -f2`
>
> This way you do not need to modify the qcow driver.

As I wrote in http://mif.vu.lt/~rolnas/stsc/qcow2.txt we cannot simple
replace qcow2 image with cp or mv, because original image could still be
in use by some VM (referenced as backed file in snapshot qcow2). Until
VM is running it is OK, because original file is still open by kvm, but
when VM is stopped or turned off (power off), kvm process is terminated
and original file is deleted, but snapshot qcow2 is still referencing
original file by pathname.

Regards
Rolandas Naujikas