[one-users] How to use Ceph/RBD for System Datastore

Jon three18ti at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 17:05:51 PDT 2013

Hello All,

I am using Ceph as my storage back end and would like to know how to
configure the system datastore, such that I can live migrate vms.

Following the directions, I thought I could create a datastore, format it,
and mount it at /var/lib/one/datastores/0 , however, I discovered, that
isn't quite how things work.

>> http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2013-May/001913.html
You can read more about that at the above link, but long story short, to
mount a shared filesystem it has to be a "clustered" filesystem (I think
CephFS is the "clustered filesystem", in this case).

I attempted to modify my system datastore config, however, I was unable to
change the DS_MAD parameter, and vm creation errors out telling me there's
no /var/lib/one/remotes/tm/ceph/mkswap driver (there isn't)

>> oneadmin at red6:~$ onedatastore show 0
>> DATASTORE 0 INFORMATION

>> ID             : 0
>> NAME           : system
>> USER           : oneadmin
>> GROUP          : oneadmin
>> CLUSTER        : -
>> TYPE           : SYSTEM
>> DS_MAD         : -
>> TM_MAD         : ceph
>> BASE PATH      : /var/lib/one/datastores/0
>> DISK_TYPE      : FILE
>>
>> PERMISSIONS

>> OWNER          : um-
>> GROUP          : u--
>> OTHER          : ---
>>
>> DATASTORE TEMPLATE

>> DISK_TYPE="rbd"
>> DS_MAD="-"
>> TM_MAD="ceph"
>> TYPE="SYSTEM_DS"
>>
>> IMAGES

Maybe I'm just confused.  Can anyone provide some guidance on setting ceph
up as the system datastore?

Thanks,
Jon A