[one-users] datastore and san disks

Michael Curran michael.curran at connectsolutions.com
Mon Jul 1 05:42:17 PDT 2013

Hello ---

I am working through setting up a test environment for OpenNebula , and most of it has been exceptionally straight-forward and simple. However, working through the datastore assignment has been a bit tricky, because the documentation reads as if all the SAN has to be assigned to specific nodes within the configuration, and it is shared to all nodes.

I am using vmware esxi 5.1 for testing and we have a rather robust VMware environment already, and are looking to leverage OpenNebula to improve our ability to stand up new VMs with less user interaction and speeding up the process with the tasks that OpenNebula can easily help automate and improve

My test environment has the following

1)      OpenNebula VM for management

2)      2 ESXi 5.1 hosts

3)      3 Datastores shared to both nodes as iSCSI attached devices

Treating the env. as SAN disks, I don't need a datastore on the OpenNebula VM? I just need to share a volume of some sorts on the ESXi hosts? Im not getting this clearly

And it also reads like my SAN disks should be specifically assigned to each ESXi hosts - our production env. has 100's of SAN disks and they are shared to all ESXi hosts - that seems  a bit strange

Could someone help me understand what I am missing here so I can complete the build of my test env.?

Michael Curran | connectsolutions | Lead Network Architect
Phone 614.568.2285 | Mobile 614.403.6320 | www.connectsolutions.com<http://www.connectsolutions.com>