[one-users] Modify a KVM instance's config (ex. RAM) in OpenNebula?

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Thu Jan 17 15:23:39 PST 2013

Hi

I think that this very same functionality is supported by OpenNebula. Note
that OpenNebula makes a difference between the definition of a VM and its
instance. An instance can be updated only on specific ways (e.g. you can
add/remove disks through hotplug, in 4.0 you will be able to add/remove
NICs or change the *instance* name). However the definition can be freely
updated.

There are a couple of benefits of keeping the definition and the instance
separated. One is being able to update the attributes and create multiple
instances of the same definition.

So you can:

1.- Define a Template with a given CPU, MEMORY, DISKs....
2.- Instantiate the that Template to create a VM
3.- (persistent VMs) Shutdown the VM. Update the Template a re-instantiate
it. The new VM will use the new attributes.
4.- (non-persistent VMs) Update the Template and instantiate it. The new
VMs will use the new attributes.

IMHO this is equivalent to the functionality referred in your email.

Cheers

Ruben

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Pellaeon Lin <nfsmwlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to modify a KVM instance's config (ex. RAM, CPU, NIC) in
> OpenNebula (or even Sunstone) after it is created? AFAIK it is impossible
> without shutting down the instance, but at least could OpenNebula do this
> offline?
>
> To be more clear, I was expecting this feature like in VMware vSphere,
> which allow modifications to individual VM's configurations after shutting
> it down.
>
> If not, is there any plan to add this feature? It would be quite useful
> because to my knowledge, currently there seems to be no cross-platform or
> web-based management tool for hypervisors.
>
> Thanks!

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect