[one-users] OpenNebula 3.x vs. puppet 3 (rubygems)

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Mon Jan 14 07:18:10 PST 2013

We are currently in the process of deploying Puppet 3 to manage my
VM hosts.  But when it comes to doing the head nodes we are running
into some conflicts between the ruby gem dependencies of the puppet labs
RPMS and the ruby gem dependencies of OpenNebula.

Puppet Labs rpm for puppet 3.0.1 has a number of dependencies, one
of which is the rubygem-json rpm.  This is installing a json gem 1.4.6.
OpenNebula, by contrast, prefers its gems to be installed by
"gem install" and that process gets you a newer version of json gem 1.7.3.

The puppet dependencies including the rubygem-json rpm all install but
once they do, it corrupts the local gem database such that gem list
doesn't show any other rpms except that one, and ONE won't start.

Has anyone figured out how to make this work?  I presume that puppet
could actually run with the newer GEM but given the way that puppet
dependencies work, it will forever be trying to reinstall the older one.

Our particular install here is ONE3.2 on Sci. Linux 6.3.  Native ruby
is 1.8.7, rubygems version 1.3.7.

As I mentioned in a previous post, trying to do this with ONE2.0 and
Sci. Linux 5 causes even more havoc which we are still trying to sort out.

Steve Timm