[one-users] Front-End node

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Tue Dec 17 06:10:54 PST 2013

OpenNebula Frontend in a VM It can be done, but how well it performs
depends on what data store you
are using.  We do it in our development OpenNebula cloud but not
in production yet because we are using a shared image store with
GFS2 and CLVM and it is difficult with our current situation to
get a VM to be a member of a cluster like that, particularly since
our fibre channel host bus adapters don't support pass-through.
We are exploring other options for our data store as we migrate to
OpenNebula 4 series so we can make it work more smoothly.

With NFS data store or ssh-based data store I expect you would not
have any problems.

So right now in the meantime our high availability OpenNebula head nodes
run on bare metal, in an active-passive configuration,
using Red Hat Clustering to manage the high availability of the service.
HA is not perfect--if one head node goes down while a VM operation is in
progress, the other one will not pick it up, but it's good enough for
most thiings.

There was a High Availability guide recently published.

http://opennebula.org/documentation:archives:rel4.2:oneha

We were doing most of this stuff in version 3 before it was formalized in
the guide.

Steve Timm