[one-users] Ceph and thin provision

Mario Giammarco mgiammarco at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 00:52:01 PST 2013

In several virtualization systems you can have a virtual disk drive:

-thick, so a thick disk of 100gb uses 100gb of space;
-thin,  so a thin disk of 100gb uses 0gb when empty and starts using space
when the virtual machine fills it.

So I can have a real hdd of 250gb with inside ten virtual thin disks of
1000gb each, if they are almost empty.

I have checked again and ceph rbd are "thin".

BTW: I thank you for you explanation of persistent/not persistent, I was
not able to find it in docs. Can you explain me also what a "volatile disk"
is?
A not persistent image is writeable?
When you reboot a vm with a not persistent image you lose all datda written
to it?

Thanks again,
Mario