[one-users] How to use ceph filesystem

Jaime Melis jmelis at c12g.com
Tue Dec 3 06:56:29 PST 2013

Hi Mario,

Cephfs CAN be used a shared filesystem datastore. I don't completely agree
with Kenneth's recommendation of using 'ssh' as the TM for the system
datastore. I think you can go for 'shared' as long as you have the
/var/lib/one/datastores/... shared via Cephfs. OpenNebula doesn't care
about what DFS solution you're using, it will simply assume files are
already there.

Another thing worth mentioning, from 4.4 onwards the HOST attribute of the
datastore should be renamed as BRIDGE_LIST.

cheers,
Jaime

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Kenneth <kenneth at apolloglobal.net> wrote:

>  Actually, I'm using ceph as the system datastore. I used the cephfs
> (CEPH FUSE) and mounted it on all nodes on /var/lib/one/datastores/0/
>
> Regarding ssh for trasfer driver, I haven't really used it since I'm all
> on ceph, both system and image datastore. I may be wrong but that is how I
> understand it from the docs.
> ---
>
> Thanks,
> Kenneth
> Apollo Global Corp.
>
>  On 12/03/2013 06:11 PM, Mario Giammarco wrote:
>
>   My problem was that  because ceph is a distributed filesystem (and so
> it can be used as an alternative to nfs) I supposed I can use as a shared
> system datastore.
> Reading your reply I can see it is not true. Probably official
> documentation should clarify this.
>
> Infact I hoped to use ceph as system datastore because ceph is fault
> tolerant and nfs is not.
>
> Thanks for help,
> Mario
>

> 2013/12/3 Kenneth <kenneth at apolloglobal.net>
>
>>  Ceph won't be the default image datastore, but you can always choose it
>> whenever you create an image.
>>
>> You said you don't have an NFS disk and your just use plain disk on your
>> system datastore so you *should* use ssh in order to have live
>> migrations.
>>
>> Mine uses shared as datastore since I mounted a shared folder on each
>> nebula node.
>>  ---
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kenneth
>> Apollo Global Corp.
>>
>>   On 12/03/2013 03:01 PM, Mario Giammarco wrote:
>>
>> First, thanks you for your very detailed reply!
>>

>> 2013/12/3 Kenneth <kenneth at apolloglobal.net>
>>
>>>  You don't need to replace existing datastores, the important is you
>>> edit the system datastore as "ssh" because you still need to transfer files
>>> in each node when you deploy a VM.
>>>

>> So I lose live migration, right?
>> If I understand correctly ceph cannot be default datastore also.
>>
>>>  Next, you should make sure that all your node are able to communicate
>>> with the ceph cluster. Issue the command "ceph -s" on all nodes including
>>> the front end to be sure that they are connected to ceph.
>>>

>> ... will check...
>>

>>> oneadmin at cloud-node1:~$ onedatastore list
>>>
>>>   ID NAME                SIZE AVAIL CLUSTER      IMAGES TYPE DS
>>> TM
>>>
>>>    0 system                 - -     -                 0 sys  -
>>> shared
>>>
>>>    1 default             7.3G 71%   -                 1 img  fs
>>> shared
>>>
>>>    2 files               7.3G 71%   -                 0 fil  fs       ssh
>>>
>>> * 100 cephds              5.5T 59%   -                 3 img  ceph
>>> ceph*
>>>
>>> Once you add the you have verified that the ceph datastore is active you
>>> can upload images on the sunstone GUI. Be aware that conversion of images
> [...]

Jaime Melis
C12G Labs - Flexible Enterprise Cloud Made Simple
http://www.c12g.com | jmelis at c12g.com

--

Confidentiality Warning: The information contained in this e-mail and
any accompanying documents, unless otherwise expressly indicated, is