[one-users] why does it take so long to delete kvm process (VMs) on host

Liu, Guang Jun (Gene) Gene.Liu at alcatel-lucent.com
Wed Dec 18 13:19:57 PST 2013

Hi there,

I have a host with 256G ram (and 32cores). I created 13 VMs (each
requires 16G ram) first. Later I deleted all of them. I found that the
kvm processes stay there for quite a long time (~10 minutes) and the
memory was consumed by them. (so that my host started to use swap which
cause it runs very slow). I wonder why deleting these VMs on host takes
so long time. Does anyone know whether its because the low priority of
deleting vm from openNebula scheduling perspective or there is some
settings I need change?

Thanks very much!

Gene