[one-users] Upgrade 4.2 to 4.4: System DS missing

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Wed Dec 4 01:59:20 PST 2013

Hi

With the new multi-system ds functionality, it is now required that system
ds is also part of the cluster. So, a VM will be deployed using any of the
system DS in the cluster. In general, this requirement prevents wrong
scheduling configurations.

System DS 0 (along with any system ds not assigned in a cluster) is still
valid but for any host not assigned in a cluster.

Going back to your questions:

Is it not possible anymore to use DS 0 on a cluster?
No, any system ds to be used in a cluster must be part of the cluster

Do I have to create a new system DS?
Yes, simply copy the definition of the working system DS (TM_MAD driver).
Depending on your setup this may or may not any additional configuration on
the nodes.

And if yes, how can I migrate the VMs saved in DS 0 to the new DS?
This cannot be done. If you need to deploy the VMs:
1.- Remove the host from the cluster.
2.- Deploy the VM manually
3.- Save any changes (either shutdown the VM or snapshoting the disk)
4.- Move back the host and deploy the VM using the new DS.

Cheers

Ruben

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Tobias Brunner <tobias at tobru.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After upgrading from 4.2 to 4.4 an attempt to deploy a new VM fails with
> the error:
>
> FAILURE [VirtualMachineDeploy] cluster [100] does not have any datastore
> of type SYSTEM_DS
>
> The system DS 0 is not assigned to a cluster (anymore, I'm not sure).
> Trying to assign it to the cluster 100 leads to the error:
>
> FAILURE [ClusterAddDatastore] Cannot add object to cluster. Datastore 0
> cannot be added to any cluster
>
> Is it not possible anymore to use DS 0 on a cluster? Do I have to create a
> new system DS? And if yes, how can I migrate the VMs saved in DS 0 to the
> new DS?
>
> Cheers,
> Tobias

Ruben S. Montero, PhD