[one-users] BSOD when deploy Windows XP VM in OpenNebula 4.2

Lorenzo Faleschini lorenzo.faleschini at nordestsystems.com
Mon Dec 2 01:19:36 PST 2013

If you've created the XP machine in VBox it's easy that it has been
configured with IDE channel. So it's a matter of controller if BSOD, not
matter of QCOW2 or RAW image.

to boot in ONE just set DEV_PREFIX="hda" in the template or in the image
of your xp machine.

if still not booting check if you uninstalled the VBoxTools before
converting it.

if you want (and you better do so if you want a bit of performance)
switch to virtio controller for storage you have to do the following
steps (in order to let the "poor" xp load correctly the drivers)

- boot xp using DEV_PREFIX="hd" in order to test if it works correctly
- shutdown and add any image (eg: a cdrom) with virtio "DEV_PREFIX=vd"
- when it loads XP will find a new hardware and ask you for drivers:
load them from the virtio cdrom
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/ this will
let XP know how to access a VirtIO SCSI drive in boot phase
- shutdown after installing drivers, remove the "fake image" you used
with vd prefix, and change DEV_PREFIX=""vd" for the WinXP System drive image
- instantiate and enjoy xp with virtio

bye

(this works for win 7 too)

Lorenzo Faleschini