[one-users] OneFlow with Chef ? AppStage is gone ?

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Mon Aug 19 08:59:20 PDT 2013

We didn't have time to port AppStage to 4.2 and we are evaluating its
usefulness as a standalone component.

If you are going to use the server mode of chef then you don't need
much in the VMs appart from chef itself. What you do need is to have
proper host names in your VMs and register the hostname in chef server
beforehand with its configuration.

I found this server mode a bit cumbersome for our needs and chosen a
chef solo approach where a init script downloaded the recipes from a
repository and a manifests and run chef solo with a parameter in
contextualization. Something like this:

* Web server with a directory for recipes and other for manifests
* init script:
  * downloads recipes and manifests to some known directories
  * starts chef solo giving the recipes directory and the manifest
chosen in the context

When creating the VM you can add a context variable stating which
manifest to use, like

MANIFEST="web_server"