[one-users] VNC problem: Failed to connect to server (code: 1006)

ahernandez at tesla.cujae.edu.cu ahernandez at tesla.cujae.edu.cu
Mon Apr 29 10:11:47 PDT 2013

Hi People, Daniel Molina (dmolina at opennebula.org), and me Angel Miguel
Hernandez (ahernandez at tesla.cujae.edu.cu), find the solution for problem
with VNC. When you try open VNC of Virtual Machine, you obtain "Failed
to connect to server (code:	1006)". The solution  for the problem is
following the step of this web site:

http://t3chnot3s.blogspot.com.es/2012/03/how-to-enable-vnc-access-to-vms-on.html

1- Login to the vSphere host either at the console or remotely.
NOTE: On the console, this requires logging into the ALT+F2 screen as
root or other admin with permissions, going to TROUBLESHOOTING OPTIONS,
and enabling either ESXi Shell (console shell access) or SSH (remote
shell access).

2- Change owner on firewall folder and services.xml file
\etc\vmware\firewall\services.xml

I did the following (as this was my own lab in a protected
environment):

     #CD /etc/vmware
     #CHOWN -R root firewall/
     #CHMOD 7777 firewall/

     NOTE: Use "ls -l" (lower case "L") to see permissions on the
FIREWALL folder.

     Then…
     #CD firewall/
     #CHMOD 7777 service.xml

     NOTE: Use "ls -l" (lower case "L") to see permissions on
SERVICE.XML file.

3- Edit the SERVICE.XML file to create a VNC service.
NOTE 1: Use VI or another text editor to add the below text at bottom
of the file (assuming it is still in a default format).

NOTE 2: If you have modified your firewall then your service id may be
different! This should be a sequential number which you can get from the
previous listed service. By default it should be approximately "0032".

<!-- VNC -->
   <service id="0032">
     <id>VNC</id>
     <rule id='0000'>
         <direction>outbound</direction>
         <protocol>tcp</protocol>
         <porttype>dst</porttype>
         <port>
            <begin>5800</begin>
            <end>5999</end>
         </port>
      </rule>
      <rule id='0001'>
         <direction>inbound</direction>
         <protocol>tcp</protocol>
         <porttype>dst</porttype>
         <port>
            <begin>5800</begin>
            <end>5999</end>
         </port>
      </rule>
      <enabled>true</enabled>
      <required>false</required>
   </service>

NOTE 3: Use "i" (lower case) to insert text in VI.
NOTE 4: Use [ESC] to exit insert mode within VI.
NOTE 5: Use ":x" (i.e. colon then lower case "x") to save and write
changes.
NOTE 6: You will notice in the above settings I am opening all ports
between 5800 and 5999. You may not wish to do this!!

4- Save Services.xml file
NOTE: Any errors at this point will be file/folder permissions related.

5- Refresh firewall rules
esxcli network firewall refresh
esxcli network firewall ruleset list (for see the rules)

And the problem solved

Thank to all that colaborate in the solution!!!!!!!!!!, and I send a
big thanks to Tino Vasquez.